Sunday, August 16, 2009

We Are Family

Ev'ryone can see we're together
As we walk on by
(FLY!) and we fly just like birds of a feather
I won't tell no lie
(ALL!) all of the people around us they say
Can they be that close
Just let me state for the record
We're giving love in a family dose

                        We Are Family, Sister Sledge

It’s that time of year again. Not just back to school time, but family reunion time! Today was the 35th Wilkins Family Reunion in good, ole Lost River—Bekah and I feel like we’ve never left! There were: bugs, babies, pictures, embarrassing stories, lots of good food and one noticeably absent person…but we’ll get back to that.

For me, I’ve been going to our family reunion for, well all my life. Here’s a picture of me and my mother at one of my firsts.


Because it’s at Lost River, you never know what to expect from the weather; it was rainy and cold for that one. Today is was hot and quite buggy.

And you never know who is going to show up. About 75% of those who do come are directly related to me so I see them frequently throughout the year. But the other 25% of them vary from year to year. They could be people I’ve met once before or twenty times before. And that’s pretty cool. Like take my second cousin Chastin, for instance. I’ve only recently gotten to know him and he’s in his twenties!

But the one person that brought the 75% of there in the first place, wasn’t in attendance for the first time this year. And that person was Memaw. You might remember this post when I talked about the funeral. We have had so many first times without her already: Easter, her birthday, summer activities, and now this-her family reunion. Today we talked about her. Shared memories and pictures. And of course we talked about her song, You Are My Sunshine. And even though it was sad, it was still wonderful.

Here are some pictures to prove just how wonderful it really was:

DSC_0003DSC_0013Bekah: How many people does it really take to hang up a sign?DSC_0024 DSC_0029 DSC_0031 DSC_0032DSC_0076 DSC_0080DSC_0095 And then there was the infamous family picture time!DSC_0100 DSC_0104 DSC_0113 DSC_0117 DSC_0129 DSC_0142 All in all it was a pretty fantastic day! Bugs, babies, and all.

And I reset my blog counter! 14 views by one o'clock...pretty good!
blog comments powered by Disqus