Wednesday, December 2, 2009

This is to have succeeded.

I would say I have a type A personality; I’m organized, anal, and at times, will admit to being bossy (that’s the oldest child syndrome.) While I’ve been known to procrastinate, I always get my work done with 100% of what I’ve got. It’s gotten me far; good grades, my FBLA presidency, friends who are just as weird, and a great job. But while it’s a strength, it is also my weakness.

Twice this week, when I was told I would be successful, I smiled with gratitude, all the while knowing the secret ingredient to my success.

First it was by my FBLA advisor, Mrs. Woodward in the midst of thirty-five bajillion decisions and projects and Powerpoints. She stopped me as I began working on another flier, touched my arm, and said, “Hannah, I just want you to know you will be successful. Keep your drive and you can do anything.” I smiled and said thank you. I agree. I will be successful.

The second time was today. I have talked about yearbook before, but one of my absolute favorite parts are the senior superlatives...the best eyes, the best smile, the most successful. Today, our editors let the rest of the staff in on the final winners and guess what?!? I got most likely to succeed!!! So what does that mean? Out of over 350 kids my peers voted me, one of those most likely to succeed. I get my picture in a special section of the yearbook and will be forever immortalized as someone who will succeed in life..and I kinda like it.

So obviously my bossiness and will have gotten me somewhere in life…and hopefully it’ll get me to where I want to end up! But do you know what my secret is to success?

To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To give of one's self;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
To have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived —
This is to have succeeded.
                                                    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

blog comments powered by Disqus