Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Key to . . . Being Ready to Live

I’m a completely different person then I was when I started high school.

I can’t pinpoint the exact date it happened but it was sometime during my junior year.

I didn’t wake up one morning and say to myself, “Hannah, get up! Life is passing you by! Get your act together.”

It was something that happened over time. I realized that I couldn’t sit around, unhappy and depressed anymore. Life wasn’t going to just get miraculously better. I had to do something. I had to fix me.

So I did. I didn’t let myself get in bad moods. I mean, honestly, who likes to feel bad? I might have an initial yell, just to let my frustrations out. But then I’m done. I go to my room, alone. Think. Breathe. Count to ten. Calm down. And slowly the mood passes. And I’m back to being myself.

My sister would say that I’m annoyingly happy. And it’s true. I’m always happy (90% of the time)! I hate being upset over anything, it just churns inside you, building and growing. And for what? So you keep feeling bad?

I don’t want to look back on anytime of my life and think man, I missed out because I was upset over ____. I want to look back and say, man, that was a great day! I had so much fun.

And it all starts with yourself. Only you can decide to make yourself happy. Only you can decide to pick yourself up by the bootstraps and get living!

Just remember, it doesn’t happen lickity split. It takes time. It takes an ah ha moment. You have to finally decide enough is enough. I’m ready to be happy. I deserve to be happy; I’m worthy of being happy. My life is worth living. wI’m ready to live.

4 comments:

  1. I love love love this post. It almost brought tears to my eyes. I've been unhappy a lot lately. Just normal stuff like friends nad family. I too have realized I am not the same person I was August 19, 2009 when I entered HS. I'm usually kinda shy, but I've kinda had to break out a little more. Since it's only my freshmen year, I can't wait to see where I will be when Iam getting ready to graduate.

    Thank you for this most! It's nice to know I'm not alone and it's a good positive reminder :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very powerful post. Wow. Loved this. You made a very true point. Who wants to spend time being unhappy? I know I don't. But I also know I have been. It's difficult though..being happy. Happiness can be awfully hard to come by sometimes. Thanks for this post though. It made me feel a bit better :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kate! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Samantha!! Glad I'm not the only one changing :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!