Monday, February 1, 2010

The Key to . . . Different Mothers

Oh, mothers.

Lately, I’ve been hearing a lot about mothers from my friends. Two, are from families who are currently divorcing or have divorced recently. In both situations they are very much at a loss emotionally. One has never been close to her mother; the other resents her mother for alcohol abuse and a new boyfriend—I’m not sure if resents is the right word…she’s very angry, hurt, and sad. The man who her mother is now seeing is the reason her family is falling apart. He’s also the man she comes home to, quite frequently, to find at her dinner table. Needless, to say for them, mothers are a sticky subject.

Another friend, is currently at a huge impasse in her life. She has made a life choice, that when shared with her mother, turned into a firing squad of hurtful words including hate. She is now left grasping for straws, at her old life and a mother’s approval, while desperately wanting the new. And it makes me sad to watch, how an unconditional love a mother has for her child, can hurt the child all the same.

But listening to these girls, hurt and angry over their mothers’ choices, makes me all the more happy to come home to mine. Tucked under the covers, book in hand when I get home from an after work meeting, ready to listen about my day and offer some much needed words of wisdom. I told my friends (and my mother!) how much I realize how easy I’ve gotten it in life; my parents are still together and my relationship with my mother is a somewhat perfect one…sure there are days when I get mad and despise her brutal honesty and chaotic messiness (so unlike my OCD-ness), but those days are far outnumbered by the good ones. Because, I know, no matter what happens, good or bad, she’s always on my side. And I pray that one day, my friends will realize that, too.

3 comments:

  1. that is so awesome and i hope that you always have this with her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah - You sure are growing up. Most of us don't realize how lucky we are and how important our mothers are until we have children of our own. For most of us, the lucky ones, there is nothing quite like a mom!
    I can only hope that Riley one day feels the same way about me!
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah - You sure are growing up. Most of us don't realize how lucky we are and how important our mothers are until we have children of our own. For most of us, the lucky ones, there is nothing quite like a mom!
    I can only hope that Riley one day feels the same way about me!
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!