Sunday, August 2, 2009

She Used to Tie Her Hair Up In Ribbons

And bows, sign her letters with X's and O's
Got a picture of her mama in heels and pearls
She's tryin’ to make it in her daddy's world
She's an American girl
An American girl

X’s and O’s (American Girl), Trisha Yearwood

It’s that time of year again; well for cheer families anyway. The beginning of school also signals the beginning of football and cheer. And for a county whose main sport is football, and for a school who’s been undefeated (until last year) for four years, cheer is huge.

While I’m not the cheerleader, Bekah is, and so that makes me- the cheer sister. What does the term “cheer sister” mean you ask? It means I am forced to listen to never ending conversations about: form, practice, games, other girls’ form, stunts, tumble times, cheer moms’, and then it’s all repeated the next day.

We’d had our bows and ribbons in our baby days, but once again I’m thrust into the world of cheer hair. So today I was given the duty of driving Bekah into Michael’s and grabbing some ribbons. And that was when I came up with the most brilliant idea; don’t just get ribbons…make bows! I mean, how hard can it possibly be?!? With Miss Polka Dot's crafty posts lately I was all for the challenge. I grabbed some more glue for the hot glue gun and some barrettes and sat down to watch Elvis & Annabelle while trying my new craft.

And let me tell you after almost five hours I’ve only gotten two modest looking bows, but I’m definitely doing it again! I think with some cheap headbands and some colorful ribbons I could definitely have some new accessories just in time for the new school year—I might even try some flowers (much to Bekah’s disapproval!)

DSC_0277 DSC_0278 DSC_0266 DSC_0273 DSC_0275

blog comments powered by Disqus