Thursday, August 27, 2009

It’s the Morning of Your Very First Day

You take a deep breath and you walk through the doors
It's the morning of your very first day
And you say hi to your friends you ain't seen in a while
Try and stay out of everybody's way

                                                     Fifteen, T. Swift

The last, first day.

 It was probably my favorite, first day ever…or favorite first day at SHS. I really like my classes  this year—I got every class I wanted and then some. I love waking up and saying, “Yeah-school!” like when I was little versus, “Ugh. I don’t wanna go to (insert class here).” But seeing as I’ve only been through two days, it’s to be expected--ask me again next week when I’m knee deep in AP assignments!

Annual First Day Pictures…the last ones (for me, at least)

DSC_0005DSC_0009  DSC_0013

And as for my new job…it’s perfect! I love it so much. The daycare, at this point, is still relatively small. The school age kids, once they get there,  stay in one spot with a teacher and the rest (ages 16 months to three) are with a teacher and a teaching assistant (me).

The kids make is so worth it. When I get there, right after school, they play outside for an hour. Eventually this will be the time that I have an activity planned for them to do, to give the teacher a break. Then we do potty/diaper changes and  we wash hands and faces just as the elementary kids get there. So we play some more…they really like dress-up and paint. Kids slowly filter out and right before closing we do another round of snacks. I also do a lot of running to the potty to avoid accidents and changing diapers. But they love to talk to me while going/being changed so I forget the smell and laugh a lot!

It’s so neat, and kind of scary, how fast they warm up to new people. They are so trusting, so fast, but I guess they don’t really have a reason not to. And the best part? That’s a tie between all the “Miss Hannah, play with me!” and one little girl who is especially fond of me. Tonight, she came back inside after leaving with her mom to give me another hug!

blog comments powered by Disqus