Saturday, December 18, 2010

Beastly

When I saw this,

I knew that I had to read this.

image

****

Unfortunately college doesn’t really lend itself to lots of leisurely reading time, so I’ve been getting caught up on break. Finishing Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks was first on my list, then onto Beastly I went.

Beastly, written by Alex Flinn, modernizes the classic story of Beauty and the Beast. This time, however, it’s the Beast sharing his take on his “transformation” and the fallout that ensued in a society driven by looks.

It was a fast read and a relatively good one at that. It has substance to it unlike other recent favorites on teen girls’ reading lists—you know the one I’m talking about. And even though the basic storyline is known beforehand, the new twist leaves plenty of mystery to keep readers wanting to read more.

Great characters with depth, an excellent lesson on beauty and morals, and a little bit of fairytale/magic come together in this wonderful retelling of a classic tale. Perfect Christmas present idea for the teenager in your life!!

****

I can already tell from the movie trailer that the film will be quite different than the novel, but I’ll still be in the audience this summer :)

****

  rose

blog comments powered by Disqus