Friday, December 18, 2009

Becoming Frosty

O, Frosty the snowman
Was alive as he could be,
And the children say he could laugh
And play just the same as you and me.

Frosty the Snowman

Every day I have an activity for the school-agers to do after snack when they get back from school…this gives them a break before we jump into homework. We rotate activities by days of the week (Monday-craft, Tuesday-game, Wednesday-craft, etc.). But this month I’ve been trying to jam-pack as many Christmas/holiday activities as I can. So that means we’ve been doing a craft and a game, pretty much every day.

Some of the activities we did this week were: 1. Guess that Gift: the kids had to guess what was inside a gift, first by listening to it when i shook it and then after feeling the contents. 2: a Rudolph ornament and 3:an ornament for their parents, and on and on.

Friday, in preparation for the record snowfall we had this weekend (tomorrow’s post), I geared it towards a snowy Christmas. So we became Frosty! I split the kids into two teams, each team then had to select a person to be Frosty (before they knew what was going to happen). I then handed each team their toilet paper, paper, scissors, and tape. I gave them as much time as they needed/wanted.

Team 1: The artist of the bunch was in this group so naturally, they started off really well. Got him wrapped up and were moving on, but slowly their teamwork started to melt quickly like their very own Frosty. (I swear there were almost some tears!) But after a little reassurance from me- I started taping him back together-they pulled it together at the end when it matters the most!


Team 2: The all-boy team…they had a hard time keeping the toilet paper from ripping, so they found that the tape was their best friend!


When they were ready, one of the teacher’s came out to judge the best one…the winning team got a treat which always causes problems! One day they will learn that you can’t always win which means you don’t always get a treat! But for right now, to prevent fights and tears, I have to incorporate a smaller treat for the losing team…like a turn first on the video games.

And another picture of the two Frosty’s complete:

DSC_0147

DSC_0148

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! Happy Frosty day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! Happy Frosty day.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!