Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sometimes the System Goes on the Blink

And the whole thing turns out wrong
You might not make it back and you know
That you could be well oh that strong
And I'm not wrong

So where is the passion when you need it the most
Oh you and I
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost
Cause you had a bad day

                                Bad Day, Daniel Powter

College applications+Senior pictures+Boatloads of Homework+Teachers who make very, very rude remarks= One unhappy, stressed out girl.

I have clearly learned my lesson; you should never gloat about the awesomeness of your day. I merely wiped all the greatness away. Or maybe, I just looked at the calendar. Because first thing Tuesday morning it started.

The bajillion meetings I have next week. The project due on Monday. The college applications due in fifteen days. The three FBLA field trips in the next two weeks that will be pulling me outta class.

It seems, that it isn’t just me with the stinky day. It’s my classmates. The teachers. The kids at daycare. It’s everyone. Maybe it’s the weather. Hopefully it’s the weather.

And on top of the calendar issues, the everyone in a bad mood discovery, I had an incident with a teacher. Now this teacher I’ve had before. I’ve always loved her, but this year, the love has definitely turned to like. And today, today, it turned to a mere respect. Why, you ask? Because of one little, ensy remark, that on same days I probably would have laughed at. But not today.

We were talking about college essays and applications; we’re getting everything pulled together for early decision. But first you need a little background information:  Miss Hannah’s mother graduated from WVU with a degree in journalism years ago. And seeing as 98% of my family lives in the wild state, I have been raised with the blue and gold. So naturally, WVU will be one of the schools I apply too—though it’s not one of my top choices, it’s more to make Mom happy.

So we are sitting there and this girl raises her hand. She wants to know about the process WVU takes in processing applications. I’m all ears. My teacher’s response, “How far you can throw your beer can?”  And she was dead serious. My mouth dropped.

Now I’m not claiming that WVU is the best school out there. Or that the Mountaineers don’t do their fair share of having fun. But for a teacher to say. I couldn’t believe it. I was, needless to say, very, very offended and went on the defense.  

I’m one that firmly believes that if you are in a bad mood, you should take  a few minutes and shake it off…I count to ten. There’s no use in putting everyone else in a bad mood, too. But this moment, I counted to twenty.  And I did a little research. So here are a few facts about WVU…not all of us can go to William and Mary, you know.

-

It seems that these days, that when I’m sitting there thinking, can this day get any worse? I realize, that by many standards, I’ve had a very good day.

I get to come home and see my family. I don’t have to worry about food and shelter. I don’t have to worry, every minute of every day, about my safety.

So even though, these past few days have been less then awesome, I’m glad I had these days. Because it takes the “bad” days to make you realize just how blessed you are…wow, that sounded really cliché-y, but just think about it.

And, of course, it’s almost Friday,

3 comments:

  1. What did your mom have to say about that comment?

    yesterday must have been the day for rude comments by teachers because one of the "coaches" who teaches at SHS went on a 1/2 rant about how cheerleaders ARE NOT athletes and that cheerleading is NOT a SPORT...

    i wanted to go to the school about it but Morgan doesn't like for me to stir the pot... she thinks he will take it out on her...

    it is hard to hold your tongue when someone is so blatantly wrong and disrepectful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. She wasn't very happy either; her idea was to send her a beer can in interoffice mail. (probably proving the point the teacher was trying to make ;)

    As for cheer coaches, Bekah's getting the same!! And she has the same attitude towards it all as Morgan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She wasn't very happy either; her idea was to send her a beer can in interoffice mail. (probably proving the point the teacher was trying to make ;)

    As for cheer coaches, Bekah's getting the same!! And she has the same attitude towards it all as Morgan.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!